is designed to help save money quickly in preparation for a big purchase or expenditure. This tool is for users who are familiar with technology but prefer not to think too much about finances. They require an accessible app that allows them to easily record income and expenses and clearly communicates what they can do to save.
This project began with a competitive analysis, examining a plethora of savings applications including traditional banks, large and popular money-managing platforms such as Mint and Dobot, as well as many smaller savings apps available for mobile devices. Squirrel Away has been kept to one specific purpose: keep an eye on where the money is going in order to save for a particular goal.
- "As a user, I need to be able to tell the tool what my savings goal is and how long I have to reach it, so that I can save accordingly."
- "As a user, I want to receive a personalized savings plan, so that I can save enough money to reach my goal in time."
- "As a user, I need to be able to input information on the money I am receiving and spending (and on what) so, that I can see an overview of my finances."
- "As a user, I want to see an overview of how much my finances have changed and how much I am saving throughout the saving period, so that I can stay on track."
- "As a user, I want to see a dashboard of my finances clearly and visually, so that I can see how much I am spending at a glance.
Usability Testing Objectives
User understands the following features:
- Connecting their choice of bank accounts
- Entering their choice of goal and the option to add a custom goal
- How to input a dollar amount for their savings goal
- Confirmation that their goal has been registered and the ability to view progress toward that goal
“You are using this app to save money for a short-term goal.
"You would like to enter a savings amount and connect your bank account.”
Scale from 1 to 5 (1 being not at all confident - 5 being very confident)
- Have you ever looked for help to save money for a short-term goal?
- What tools have you used for this purpose in the past?
- Please describe your experience with these tools.
“You would like to view your income and expenses and see how your savings goal is proceeding over time.”
- Savings plan page was unclear as to how the dollar amount correlated with the day, week, or month view.
- A few of the bank and goal options were still visible on the following screen after she had made a choice. This was confusing as she wasn’t sure the system registered her decision.
- Savings page and overview had repeat items that make it less clear which had the information she wanted to quickly view.
- Savings plan page. Was not clear on the fact that she could not change the inputs for daily/weekly/monthly amounts by clicking on the numbers, but needed to use the buttons to change the deadline or amount.
- Thought there should be an alert to notify that deadline date had changed.
Squirrel Away has been designed as a simple, easily navigable goal-setting app without extras that make it more like a banking application. This project taught me that user preconceptions and expectations easily lead to adding unnecessary features. Continually referring back to the original objective is a lesson learned to avoid adding time to future projects.